more than
tea and scones

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Jenny's Book Club!

So I have two wonderful titles that I think everyone must read. Seriously, both these books had me reduced to tears. I could not put them down. They are both very simple readers but both very touching.

Burned Alive -Souad
Fantastic. Told by a woman who survived and escaped her family after being set on fire by a family member. She disgraced her family by losing her virginity at the age of 15 to a man who promised her marrige and happiness. She became pregnant and a disgrace to the village (somewhere on the Gaza strip). As a result of her actions, her family tried to kill her. It's not as grim as I make it out to be, I swear it's much more beautifully written. (non-fiction)

Tuesdays with Morrie -Mitch Albom
This is about a teacher named Morrie who was diagnosed with ALS (this disease which slowly paralyses you body starting with your arms and legs and slowly moves into your core. Once it reaches the lungs, you suffocate). Mitch was one of Morrie's students and together the two of them discussed life, death and philosophy. Really, trust me on this one. It's not as lame as I make it sound, it had me in tears and was recommended to me by this girl who also cried through it.
-------------------------------
Location: still amsterdam
Wearing: I spilt orange juice on my skirt today (on the plus side, today I could afford orange juice to spill on my skirt! THANKS MOM!)
Day's Activities: chill with Rembrandt at the Rijkmuseum...fantastic! I feel cultured...like yogurt
Thing you miss: Feeling clean. I shower every morning, but it really doesn't help because the clothes I put on still stink.
-------------------------------

jenny at 3:13 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment