more than
tea and scones

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Used Jet Trash

(Extra points to anyone who knows where that's from, though I think only Sarah V will know)

The campground here in Amsterdam (actually 11km out of Amsterdam, but who's counting) is unbelievably awesome! Picture the coolest, kitch-est white trash trailer park, complete with little domed camping trailers and a ping-pong table in the courtyard, and you can start to imagine this place. The guy behind the checkin counter always wears a hawaiian shirt, and there are an abundance of little wooden parrots on all the fences (along with giant monster spiders in the bathroom, but that's another story)

Yesterday we decided just to chill, so we walked the 2km or so into the nearest little village (I forget the name, but it's very cute) and bought groceries, walked home (by way of the cow pasture) and spent the afternoon chilling in the hammock, eventually moving down to the beach on the other end of the parking lot. I think if tomorrow is decent, another day must be spent there. After dinner and a heated game of pingpong, we read, then went to our new beds. (Jen is sleeping in my tent, and I rented a supertent, complete with raised cot, 2 sleeping bags, blankets and a flashlight. Luxury!)

Today we made the big treck into the city, and wandered around for a bit, till we finally found the Anne Frank House. (Where she hid out till they were discovered and captured) Amsterdam officially wins as the most confusing city to navigate. It has a million little canals and everyone rides bikes. There are no cars on the roads, so you get decieved into thinking that you can walk in the middle of the road till WHOOSH, you almost get taken out by a hippie on a bike.

I'm trying to find somewhere that will be able to develop my photos in time for me to take them home, but I'm having a bit of trouble with that. I may just have to develop them once I hit Victoria, but I don't have any idea how.

And after that, it's Thursday, and I head for home. A quick 4 day stop in Victoria, and I'm back in Calgary on the night of the 29th. I have no idea what's happening on the 30 and 31, so if anyone has any ideas for plans, call my cell (I don't have it here, but will be able to check my voicemail as soon as I get home, which is a little easier than checking my email in Victoria. Send and email if you don't have the cell #, I hate putting it on here)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, and not having to pay every time I want to use the computer. See you all soon!
-------------------------------
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Wearing: Dirty clothes
Day's Activities: did nothing, went into Amsterdam, shopped, museumed, internetted.
Thing you miss: My cell phone. Everyone in this country has one!
-------------------------------

Jody at 8:04 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 10:43 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-D I laughed out loud when I saw that title...

Hope you enjoy Amsterdam as much as I did... I got lost every time I left my hotel but wherever I ended up was usually beautiful.

Back in November we were walking down a street - I think Prinsengracht (sp?) - and there was this photo gallery with an ENORMOUS and totally cool picture of Tom Waits hanging in it that you could see from about half a block away... wonder if they still have it there.

--
Sarah V.

 
at 2:58 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe, glad that you caught that! I walked around muttering "Never could stand that dog" all afternoon. The trailer court here totally had me thinking of used jet trash.

I can't believe I missed that picture!! We walked all along Prinsengracht(sp?) and all we saw were bikes and pot cafes. I shudder to think of my girly, touristy reaction if I had seen that one.

 
at 10:48 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my whole A-dam trip was full of Waitsian things. When I arrived in the airport there was a huge display in the record store window in the airport shopping area for "Real Gone" with posters for the upcoming shows and everything. It was a great welcome to the city :-)

I bet the pic in that photo gallery is long gone, they were all up for sale so someone probably bought it by now. Even though I think they wanted hundreds of dollars for it (eek!).

I think you're coming home just in time to catch the Monday night show that I'll be out of town for... but Anatol is covering for me :-)

--
Sarah V.

P.S. Presumably the jet trash was once unused? And what does one use jet trash for?

 
at 12:24 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dream of a land full of Waits-isims. As it is, Europe already the promise land for all things Waits. And unfortunatly I'll miss this week's show (I left Europe, but spend another few days in Vancouver till I actually get to go home) but I look forward to the first one when I get back. I have a whole list of requests that I've missed.

And that is quite a conundrum regarding the jet trash. But apparently they learn to make good martinis? That gives me something to think about for the evening.

 

Post a Comment